Call Today (949) 379-8483
Jain Law Group
Experienced California Immigration And Business Law Attorney

L-1B Visa

L-1B Visa: Intra-Company Transferees, Specialized Knowledge

At the Jain Law Group, we have handled numerous cases and have the necessary experience involving L-1B visas. Employees with specialized knowledge, skills and experience in the company's procedures, systems, services or products may be transferred to its affiliate entities in the U.S. as L-1B visa intra-company transferee.

Employer Qualifications

The U.S. employer must have a formal affiliation with the foreign entity as its parent company, subsidiary, branch or affiliate. This is referred to as the "qualifying organization." The relationship may be substantiated by evidence that both the U.S. company and the foreign entity are controlled by the same person or a group.

Employee Qualifications

The employee must have worked one year for the foreign organization within the last three years and must be coming to serve in a position that requires special knowledge, which the beneficiary has been working in the same capacity. Specific knowledge refers to the beneficiary's special knowledge of a product, service, equipment, management, techniques or other related interests. Such knowledge or skill is not common and it exceeds the average knowledge or skill level of standard employees within the organization.

New Offices

Foreign employers transferring an employee with specialized information and specific knowledge must demonstrate the U.S. company's financial ability to commence business and provide salaries for employees.

Period Of Stay

A maximum stay of one year is allowed for employees who qualify to enter the U.S. for the purpose of establishing a corporation. Other qualified L-1B visa employees are allowed to stay up to three years. An extension is granted in two-year increments up to five years maximum for all L-1B visa employees.

Family Of L-1B Holders

The spouse and children under the age of 21 may accompany the transferring employee as L-2 visa holders. The family members will generally be given the same time period as the qualifying employee. Spouses of L-1B visa employees may apply for work authorization.

You can contact us online or call 949-379-8483. We serve clients in Irvine and throughout Orange County.

Ask Us About Your Case

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy